Despite putting out brave face with his usual fake populist messages, talking indirectly to what he perceives as his political opponents in Puntland and Jubaland, and in contradiction to his claim of addressing the nation, here are the main takeaways from his speech, which was embedded in solemn sadness, showing deep personal stress and anger:
- Return to the talks with Federal Member States on the electoral impasse on the basis of September 17 Agreement, 2020.
- Reference to the House of the people, whose mandate had expired in December 2020 (he still didn’t get it or decided to keep violating the constitution).
- Recognition of the statements issued by his allied Federal Member States of Galmudugh, Hirshabelle and Southwest, and Acting Federal Prime Minister Roble – surprising new political developments that acted as the straw that broke the camel’s back.
- Acceptance of the inevitable reality demanding holding elections in Somalia
- Avoidance to recognize the tremendous domestic political pressure and diplomatic isolation from world community, realities he had tried to hide from the same people he was claiming to address and inform. It was foolproof for all to see.
To paraphrase it, in a nutshell, Farmajo has accepted political defeat last night, while he was trying not to say it.
Having said that, it is hard to predict what Farmajo and his co- conspirators would do next. We wait to see it. It looks, though, that they have reached a point of no return.
PS: opposition leaders are disappointed that Farmajo didn’t go far enough to come clean from the political mess he had created.
Make a one-time donation
Your contribution is appreciated.Donate
Make a monthly donation
Your contribution is appreciated.Donate monthly
Make a yearly donation
Your contribution is appreciated.Donate yearly